Teens love to argue. Just suggest they might have broken a rule and watch them go. Why not harness that for good and get them thinking at the same time by hosting a great debate? Pick a book related controversy and challenge them to find evidence in the text to support their opinion. You can even invite a coach or student from a local debate club to give a mini-lesson on building arguments and using evidence before you let them loose.
What kind of things can they argue about?
- Team Gale vs. Team Peeta vs. Team Katniss
- Should Draco Malfoy be in Azkaban?
- Sirius Black: Doting Godfather or Insane Hypocrite?
- Superman vs. Batman vs. Spiderman
- What is John Green’s (or any author with multiple popular books) best work?
- Are there girl books and boy books?
- Can you judge a book by it’s cover?